Friday, 3 November 2017

Episode 8 (Of Problems and Projects)

Tempest finally came to talk to me, the other day. J brought her over just after I'd put away the crockery from dinner, and told her that I wouldn't be mad if she told me. I waited to hear of one of our few pieces of furniture being broken, or something of the like.

But it was nothing like that.



"Mommy, none of the other kids in my class want me to play games with them." Her eyes filled with tears, but she didn't properly cry.

I was gobsmacked.

"Why did you think I would be mad, Temmie?" I asked, gently. She sniffled.

"'Cause you said to make friends at the beginning of the year, and...and then I didn't, and I don't know what to do!"

"Oh, Tempest..." I wrapped my arms gently around her. "Tempest, there's no way that I'd be mad at you! Just tell your mama what happened." I drew back to look her directly in the eyes.

"I...I tried to talk to them, but they said they already had best friends, and that they didn't need me hanging around." She looked almost as though she would say something else, but then shut her mouth. I decided not to press it.

"Tempest, I'm sure you'll find someone to be friends with in due time. But you don't have to make friends right away. I had trouble, at your age, believe me. My best friend turned up when I was a year older than you, and..."

I hesitated. I remembered my friend very clearly, but of course, ever since I had moved here, I hadn't exactly been in contact with her. Maybe I should reach out - but then again, maybe not.

J took over. "What your mother is trying to say is that you shouldn't try and force friendship, Tempest, especially not with such little snots."

Tempest snorted, and I raised an eyebrow at J, who just grinned.

"Angel, you know I'm right." He winked at Tempest. "I'll be in the garden if you need me, kiddo. Don't forget your school project."

"School project?" I asked. Tempest flushed and shot a venomous look at her father's retreating back. We both knew J had said it on purpose.

"It's...a medieval castle diorama. It's for history."

"And when is it due?" I asked, dreading the answer.

"Friday." Today was Wednesday.

"Tempest, go fetch it now, and you can start working on it, okay?" It really was more of a command than a request.

"Can I feel the baby first?" she asked quickly, and I grinned. Her little hands gently rested on my stomach, and I felt the baby move, as did Tempest, who looked up at me with wide eyes.


"The baby moved!" she said, excitedly. "I felt her move!"

"You don't know whether you might get a brother, little storm." I tweaked her nose. "Go get your project. It's best if you get it done before the deadline. And get into your pajamas, too. It'll be bedtime soonish."

She grumbled, but did as she was told, thankfully. And let me just say, that project looked brilliant as she was painting it up. J directed her on the finicky bits, but she finished it within the evening.


And when she brought it home, it had one of the highest grades in class! I was so proud when she told me, and while I'm not much of a 'slap everything on the fridge' mom, but I put it on our new decorative table, which I'd actually intended as a surface for a candle or something.
But this beautiful castle was so much better!


I'm so proud of Tempest.

No comments:

Post a Comment