Friday, 28 April 2017

Episode 3 (A Restless Night)


I've wanted for a while to find the courage to talk to my neighbours. Although I've been here for three years, none of them have really talked to me, and although I love Tempest, the only person I ever see is J, and he is, of course, an irregular visitor to my house.

I've sometimes wondered what they think of me.

Well, now I know! And I wish I didn't!

I was gardening outside in the evening, and I saw a young lady walking past, a pretty looking blonde. She stopped, staring at me, and then smiled prettily.

"Astrid, right?" she asked.


I smiled back, glad for some friendly words.

"Yes, that's me! Nice to meet you...I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name."

"Dina. Dina Caliente. I live not five minutes from here." Her smile was a little too friendly, and I started to feel uncomfortable.


"Well, like I said, nice to meet you." I turned back to my garden, hoping that she'd go away. Little Miss Rich clearly didn't like that.

"Excuse me, but I don't think someone like you should turn your back on someone like me." She raised an eyebrow at me. "I mean, I'm curious, but I'm not a saint. You should be grateful I'm talking to you, given what they're all saying about you."

"Who are they, exactly?" I asked, archly, and she scowled at me.

"The people who say you're J Huntington's baby momma! " she snapped at me.


I felt anger course through me. This snobby little rich girl didn't have the right to throw a tantrum like this over my reputation!

Then it hit me. She was angry that J was Tempest's father. I let a sly smile creep onto my face.

"I'm sorry, were you two involved?" I asked, politely.


She looked shocked, and glanced around the street to see if anyone had heard, before stepping closer to me.

"We might have been, if it weren't for you. Stay out of my way, Red, and you might just reclaim your reputation before Huntington Jr gets to school." She stomped away, glaring at me over her shoulder, and I sighed, reaching for my phone.

There was no doubt that she'd been involved in those rumours about me somehow. No wonder my neighbours wouldn't talk to me.

Of course I called J. He was my only friend, and I had to talk to him about Dina. He came over as quickly as possible.

I kissed him on the cheek, grateful that he'd come over.


"J!"

He laughed. "Great to see you too, angel."

Alarm bells went off in my head. J only called me 'angel' when he was flirting with me, something I had never welcomed.

I stepped back. "J, now really isn't the time. There's other things to think about." Like Tempest. Dina was right - if rumours were still going around when Tempest went to school, that could affect her future.


I took him inside, and quickly explained what had happened. J wouldn't believe me.

"Come on, Astrid. Dina wouldn't do something like that. She's a bit abrupt. You probably misunderstood her. I mean, there's never been anything between us, for starters." He tried to take my hand, and I jerked it away. This wasn't going to turn flirtatious. It couldn't, and I didn't want it to.

"J, please." I kept my voice lowered. "I know what I heard."

"Astrid. Dina and I aren't involved."

That's not how she sees it, I thought, gritting my teeth. I turned away from him. "I think you should get going, J. I'm not going to argue, and it's too late for you to be here."


He left in a bad mood, and I sat on the bed, worrying about what had happened. Dina Caliente might be a delusional gold digger, but she wasn't exactly powerless. And J, my only friend, wouldn't help me. He'd rather be kissing me, and I knew it. All with no strings attached.

I wished, for a moment, that things were different, that he was the marrying kind. The sort of guy who wouldn't break your heart.

Luckily, I have two guys to go to who will never break my heart. Ben and Jerry.


I'd just polished off a bowl of Chunky Monkey when I heard a little voice call out plaintively from Tempest's room.

"Mama?"

Just as I'd feared, she'd woken up. It must have been three in the morning. Not. Good.


I went into her room, lifting her up for a cuddle. "It's okay, Temmie, Mama's here. Mama's right here. What's wrong, precious?"

She curled close, lip wobbling, and nuzzled my shoulder, not answering at first.


"Little storm, what's wrong?" I asked again, gently, worried.

"Where's Papa?" she asked, finally.

She had heard him. I could have throttled him for waking her up.

"Shhh, little storm. Just a dream. Papa's not here," I lied, feeling awful for deceiving her. Her little face crumpled, and I cuddled her closer. She looked up at me again.

"Noms?" she asked, hopefully.


One bowl of early morning yoghurt later, Tempest was full enough to be sleepy, and I took her back to bed, tucking her in. She yawned, snuggling under the sheets.


I myself went back to my own bed, but couldn't sleep. It was very early morning, for one, and I couldn't help but worry over Dina Caliente's words, and how Tempest had somehow heard her father. I could only hope she wouldn't remember it.

I was just dropping off to sleep when I heard sobs coming from Tempest's room. Sighing, I got up again, pushing back the weariness, just in time to see Tempest open the door between her room and the main room. Tears were rolling down her plump little cheeks.



"What's wrong?" I gathered her in my arms, and she sniffled. Probably a nightmare, if I was any judge, given the way she clung to me. Tempest loves me, but she never clings.

"Mama..." She hugged me close.

"It's okay, little storm. Mama will always be here. Don't fret."


Once I'd calmed her down, I managed to find out what she'd dreamt about. She'd been on her own, and I was gone. My heart ached for her as I tucked her back into bed, reassuring her that I would be here for her.


There are only the two of us, after all. If I was gone, Tempest has no one to rely on. Her father was hardly a parent to her. My mind was made up. She must, as soon as possible, know about the legacy. She would inherit when she was an adult, after all. And the sooner she found herself with a big family, the better. She mustn't feel so alone.





No comments:

Post a Comment