Tuesday, 21 February 2017

Episode 2 (Tempest)

It's been almost two years since I moved here. I've not had much time for anything other than my darling girl.

She was such a quiet baby, but now, she's a talkative little girl! Her favourite words are 'Mama', 'Bunny', and 'Noms'. She absolutely loves rabbits!


I still haven't told Mother about Tempest - I haven't spoken to the woman since saying goodbye. I've taught Tempest to call J 'Papa', as I called my father at her age, but she rarely sees him in person. Thankfully, I can use my phone to Skype him from time to time, and Tempest is always delighted to see him.

She's my world.

Recently, she babbles away to herself, and has been playing with the cat her father brought her back from some Parisian toy shop. It's beautiful, and she loves it. I'm happy to say that she loves him, too.


It's hard not to smile at her all the time. Even when she throws tantrums, which is rare. She's such a good natured little girl.


I wish that Mother knew, but I know she doesn't know about my social media, and I know that I'm estranged from my family. Tempest and J are all I have, and Tempest and I are definitely closer, even if J and I are friends.

I've been working hard to make sure Tempest is happy, and her things are everywhere. A recent addition is the potty - she doesn't quite like it, but if I can get her used to it at home, it won't be as big an issue at day care.


I love her so much. Even when she throws crackers about, she'll smile at me, and she knows she's the apple of my eye.


But I can't help seeing this house through the eyes of my family. They wouldn't see it as a fit house for Tempest. They'd definitely think I was slacking in some way if they knew. Tempest herself, a child who did not come from a marriage, would be a source of shame. One day, I'll tell her about the Legacy, and all about her family. About Aunty Pru, for sure.


One thing that has been sweet is how often she needs to sleep. "Nap, Mama! Nap!" She'll hold her arms up, and I'll change her into her pyjamas, and tuck her into bed. I know toddlers need to sleep more, but it's strange to me even now, this routine.


And of course, the bedtime story. 'The Dragon and the Bunnies' Picnic' is her favourite, about a dragon who wants to join in the bunnies' picnic. I might have forgotten the poetry I learnt from tutors, but I could recite this from memory, because every time she settles down, I read this to her. She joins in with the last words, recently.


And every single time, she'll fall asleep not five minutes later. She's so precious.


I look at Tempest, and I look back at the girl I used to be, spoiled and angry at being dumped here. It might not be the best, but I wouldn't have Tempest if I hadn't come here. She's worth everything I've been through, and she is the reason I will strive to make things better. I will do everything within my power to ensure she is happy and comfortable.

Is this what Aunty Pru wanted? For me to feel like this, to become this sort of person? It's certainly a better situation than before, in many ways. And it's taught me a lot about the sort of people my family are. My mother doesn't want to work hard, she just wanted me out of the house. My father didn't take up the legacy - he just rested on my grandfather's laurels.

For Tempest, I will build a legacy that will become a dynasty of honesty and wealth, of love and glory. I will make sure that every single thing they have pales in comparison to what will be.




No comments:

Post a Comment